Re: Case-sensitivity of connection string parameters - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Inoue, Hiroshi
Subject Re: Case-sensitivity of connection string parameters
Date
List pgsql-odbc

On 2016/05/10 16:56, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use the psqlODBC 9.2.1 with unixODBC 2.2.14 on Ubuntu 14.04.
> Should I expect names of connection string parameters to be case-sensitive?
>
> For instance, if I try DSN-less connection with the following connection
> string passed to the ODBC API call SQLDriverConnect:
>
> "Driver={PostgreSQL ANSI};Server=127.0.0.1;Database=test;UID=test;PWD=test;"
>
> I get this error:
>
> [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default
> driver specified

What rejects the connection is unixODBC driver manager not psqlodbc driver.
Newer version of unixODBC may allow "Driver=....".

> whereas if I try this one, with the upper-case DRIVER:
>
> "DRIVER={PostgreSQL ANSI};Server=127.0.0.1;Database=test;UID=test;PWD=test;"
>
> I get successfully connected.
>
> I've couldn't find any details on the case sensitivity in the FAQ,
> release notes or https://odbc.postgresql.org/docs/config-opt.html
>
> The only cue might be the connection string in the VB example
> at the bottom of this page, where DRIVER is specified in upper-case:
> https://odbc.postgresql.org/docs/config.html
>
> Another cue that suggests case-sensitivity might be important is from
> the connection strings database:
> https://www.connectionstrings.com/postgresql-odbc-driver-psqlodbc/
> and it says:
> "Please note that sslmode=require is case sensitive, it should be
> written in lower case letters."
>
> But, it is confusing since the https://odbc.postgresql.org/docs/config-opt.html
> lists this parameter as "SSLmode", but not asd "sslmode".
>
> Finally, I have tried psqlODBC 9.3.4 on Windows and there parameters work
> regardless of their case.

The keywords of connection string are case-insensitive but the values
might be case-sensitive.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue