Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pierre Chevalier Géologue
Subject Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
Date
Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"  (John McKown <john.archie.mckown@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Le 04/05/2016 15:25, John McKown a écrit :
> On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 8:13 AM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj
> <mailto:pgsqladmin@geoff.dj>>wrote:
>
>     ​<snip>
>
>     The sensible way is to do it as John wrote - to restrict access rights
>     to everyone except admin to calling functions only. That way the
>     functions are written by the people who are paid to understand the
>     business rules and the data behind it, and the application developers
>     can ask those experts to do the heavy lifting for them. Having to
>     persuade management that they should no longer be able to connect the
>     database to MS Access and make changes that way will usually put an
>     end to that pure model, though. :)
>

> ​Allowing PHBs direct access t​o company data is a nasty thing.

Sorry, what is a PHB?  Our friend google didn't help me much on this matter.

> They become like some users who "know Excel". They are now just as
> knowledgeable as someone who's been doing this for years. I've actually
> heard one say something akin to: "Damn it, I can write Excel formulas. I
> know very well that an new function on the web site could be written in
> less than a day, if you'd just get off you a$$ and do it."

Hm.  Sounds familiar...
I usually call "excelitis" a sort of mental disease related to a use and
abuse of Excel, up to the point where one cannot imagine data which is
*not* in a table-like array.  And they think that they do Relational
Database Management...  In the 1990's, I met many-many deeply sick
persons.  I had been infected for a while, I must confess.

À+
Pierre
Pierre Chevalier
PChGEI: Pierre Chevalier Géologue Et Informaticien
Partenaire DALIBO
     Mesté Duran
     32100 Condom
   Tél+fax  :    09 75 27 45 62
                 06 37 80 33 64
   Émail  :   pierrechevaliergeolCHEZfree.fr
   icq#   :   10432285
   jabber: pierre.chevalier1967@jabber.fr
   http://pierremariechevalier.free.fr/pierre_chevalier_geologue