Re: Protocol buffer support for Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From José Luis Tallón
Subject Re: Protocol buffer support for Postgres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 04/26/2016 08:06 AM, 陈天舟 wrote:
> I am interested in adding Protocol Buffer support for Postgres.
> Protocol Buffer occupies less space than JSON. More importantly, it
> has schema and is forward/backward compatible. All these make it a
> very good format for persistency.

Have you investigated JSONB vs ProtoBuf space usage ?    (the key being  the "B" -- Postgres' own binary JSON
implementation)

The "per-column schema" thing sounds difficult to do without major
changes to the core unless/until we have generalized user-defined
metadata for objects ....

Just my .02€
    / J.L.