Re: proposal: possibility to read dumped table's name from file - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: proposal: possibility to read dumped table's name from file
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 13 Jul 2021, at 00:59, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> On 2021-Jul-13, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>
>> I'm not going to fight against some sort of versioning, but I think keeping
>> the scope as narrow as possible would make it unnecessary. That is, let's
>> stick to the original goal to allow passing filtering rules that would not
>> fit on the command-line, and maybe let's make it a bit more flexible to
>> support other object types etc.
>>
>> IMHO the filtering rules are simple enough to not really need elaborate
>> versioning, and if a more advanced rule is proposed in the future it can be
>> supported in the existing format (extra field, ...).
>
> I don't understand why is versioning needed for this file.  Surely we
> can just define some line-based grammar that's accepted by the current
> pg_dump[1] and that would satisfy the current need as well as allowing
> for extending the grammar in the future; even JSON or Windows-INI format
> (ugh?) if that's necessary to tailor the output file in some other way
> not covered by that.

I wasn't expressing myself very well; by "versioning" I mean a way to be able
to add to/change/fix the format and still be able to deterministically parse it
without having to resort to ugly heuristics and hacks.  If that's achieved by
an explicit version number or if it's an inherit characteristic of the format
doesn't really matter (to me).  My worry is that the very simple proposed
format might not fit that bill, but since I don't know what the future of the
feature might bring it's (mostly) a gut feeling.