Re: 9.6 -> 10.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh berkus
Subject Re: 9.6 -> 10.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
All,

While we established a while ago that a break in the file format would
cause a bump of the major version, it's not the ONLY thing which will.

Personally, I'd like to see us go to 10.0 just based on Parallel query.
 Looking back at 9.0, 9.6 is very little like 9.0.

Part of the reason for that, frankly, is that our use of second version
numbers makes the project look slower moving than databases which
actually add fewer features. Particularly, it's not lost on me that the
first version of MariaDB was 10.0.

If this version isn't 10.0, then let's plan on next version being 10.0
based on the idea of having all of the migrate-in-place tools (i.e.
pglogical) ready to go.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)