Re: 9.6 -> 10.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: 9.6 -> 10.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 04/11/2016 10:10 AM, Josh berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> While we established a while ago that a break in the file format would
> cause a bump of the major version, it's not the ONLY thing which will.
>
> Personally, I'd like to see us go to 10.0 just based on Parallel query.
>   Looking back at 9.0, 9.6 is very little like 9.0.

I am not sure a comparative of 9.6 -> 9.0 is fair, considering I can say
the exact same thing using 9.2 (and especially 9.3) instead of 9.6 as
the upcoming version number.

> Part of the reason for that, frankly, is that our use of second version
> numbers makes the project look slower moving than databases which
> actually add fewer features. Particularly, it's not lost on me that the
> first version of MariaDB was 10.0.

True but comparing ourselves to a company is the wrong way to go about it.

1. We should never consider it marketing, we aren't selling a product.
The mentality is also very different. When someone thinks of marketing
or advertising their is usually currency involved. When someone thinks
of advocacy and education, there is a different approach that helps
build the types of relationships we want.

2. Version *numbers* aren't nearly as identifiable as using names. This
is something that Ubuntu has on us and something we should consider. For
example, most people don't say I am running 15.10, they say, I am
running Wily.

3. We are advocating an Open Source project and should add the entire
ecosystem around it. I think one of our larger advocacy failures is that
although we are great at celebrating the .Org release, we ignore all the
other awesome pieces of software built explicitly for PostgreSQL that
would be advocating and demonstrating as a complete stack.

> If this version isn't 10.0, then let's plan on next version being 10.0
> based on the idea of having all of the migrate-in-place tools (i.e.
> pglogical) ready to go.

That seems reasonable.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake