Handling Complex queries in PostgreSQL fulltext search - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gaini Rajeshwar
Subject Handling Complex queries in PostgreSQL fulltext search
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi All,

Does anyone know how to handle complex queries?

For Example, If i want to search for something like:

(portable battery AND magnetic induction) OR (database management system)

This is a sample query and user can specify any kind of complex query in this way. I can't ask user to specify &, |, ! operators. Instead i can ask to use AND, OR, NOT operators. If nothing is specified by default & operator should be used.

Is there any way to convert/specify user given query in Fulltext Search.

For Example, In Sphinx I can give the same query as

'(portable battery && magnetic induction) | (database management system)'

Here i need not to mention the & operator between portable, battery.

Is there any way we can specify this in PostgreSQL Fulltext search (i.e without bothering about inserting & operator in between)?

Thanks,

Gaini Rajeshwar