Re: 9.6 -> 10.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Darren Duncan
Subject Re: 9.6 -> 10.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 2016-03-22 7:07 AM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> I've been ranting about this on Twitter for a while, and now blogged about it:
>
> http://people.planetpostgresql.org/devrim/index.php?/archives/89-9.6,-or-10.0.html
>
> There are major changes in 9.6 (some of them are listed in the blog post), and
> I think they are good enough to call this 10.0.
>
> A counter argument might be waiting for pglogical for inclusion, but I think
> the current changes are enough to warrant a .0 release.
>
> What do you think?

I have several thoughts about this.

1. I think we should default to keeping the 9.6 version as being perfectly
acceptable as a default position.

2. I think a major milestone would be when one can use BDR on an UNPATCHED core
Postgres server, so BDR is then easily installable as an extension or complement
with standard Postgres.

Per
http://blog.2ndquadrant.com/when-are-we-going-to-contribute-bdr-to-postgresql/ I
have been seeing major chunks of this BDR-derived stuff being added to core in
9.3, 9.4, 9.5 and there being relatively little left.

While not necessarily a cause for a 10.0, I think it would be a dis-service to
relabel 9.6 as 10.0 unless it satisfied the UNPATCHED requirement.

This is assuming that getting there is an "almost done" thing, sure to be in 9.7
if not 9.6, though it seemed 9.6 was the likely thing.

If I understand things right then the pglogical is the main outstanding piece?

3. A major milestone to warrant a .0 release is core support for alternate
primary query languages than SQL, which I think was discussed as something
desirable in -hackers a year back or so.  At the same time, this sort of thing
if done still looks like a few years out and a 10.0 should not be held for it.
But then maybe including such would warrant an 11.0 release.

4. I don't think its a bad idea to release a 10.0 simply to say we've got a good
accumulated batch of features since 9.0 by now, even if the actual delta from
say 9.5 isn't as impressive looking; in that sense the 10.0 is more like saying
we have something more polished.

-- Darren Duncan