Re: Confused by the behavior of pg_basebackup with replication slot - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: Confused by the behavior of pg_basebackup with replication slot
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

On 19/03/2016 15:41, Yi, Yi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had an issue with the behavior of pg_basebackup command. I was convinced previously that pg_basebackup command
alwaysmade the binary copy of the database cluster files of the postgres master. However, I recently noticed that
pg_basebackupdid not copy the the replication slot object of the master, in comparison with the fact that the
copy-command-based-backupdid copy the replication slot object. Is this difference designed on purpose ?

Yes.

> Considering the difference mentioned above, I'm wandering that is there anything else that the pg_basebackup would
NOTcopy from the master ?
> In other words, what is the no-copying rules of pg_basebackup ?

The full list is documented here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/protocol-replication.html

Regards.

--