Re: recovering database from a linux file system - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pierre Chevalier Géologue
Subject Re: recovering database from a linux file system
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Le 10/03/2016 21:10, John R Pierce a écrit :
> On 3/10/2016 12:05 PM, Alka Gupta wrote:
>> The vendor won't give us any way to access the machine and retrieve
>> the DB, so I removed the HDD and connected it to my Linux laptop.  I
>> was able to grab all the DB files and copy them to my Windows desktop,
>> where I then installed PostgreSQL 9.0 (to match the version that was
>> on the server) with pgAdmin III.  I changed the default directory to
>> the folder containing the DB files using this tutorial:
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Change_the_default_PGDATA_directory_on_Windows
>

> I would try installing postgres on linux, and try running it with a copy
> of this data directory.   skip the pgadmin thing entirely as its just
> another layer of obfuscation, stick with CLI tools.

Yes.  Also, make sure that you have the _same architecture_ than your
dusty server, i.e. 32 bit vs. 64 bits, and maybe other "details".  Since
postgresql data files are *very* close to what happens in the server's
RAM, a $PGDATA contents will not be readable on a different architecture.

Which OS was your old dusty server running on?

Regards (and courage!)
Pierre
Pierre Chevalier
PChGEI: Pierre Chevalier Géologue Et Informaticien
Partenaire DALIBO
     Mesté Duran
     32100 Condom
   Tél+fax  :    09 75 27 45 62
                 06 37 80 33 64
   Émail  :   pierrechevaliergeolCHEZfree.fr
   icq#   :   10432285
   jabber: pierre.chevalier1967@jabber.fr
   http://pierremariechevalier.free.fr/pierre_chevalier_geologue