Re: recovering database from a linux file system - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: recovering database from a linux file system
Date
List pgsql-general
On 3/10/2016 12:25 PM, Alka Gupta wrote:
> Do you know if there is any encryption or security or will plainly copying
> the files will work? Do I need to know any db usernames and passwords, which
> obviously I don't have?

plain copy should be fine, any encryption would be file system level,
and if it was so encrypted you wouldn't have even been able to /see/ the
files.

modify pg_hba.conf to have...
     local all all     trust

as the first non-comment line, and pooof, no security on the databases
for local direct connections.

there's nearly always a 'postgres' user which is the server owner, and
primary database administrator account.   you should create a unix user
'postgres', and use this user to start the database server via...

     pg_ctl -D /path/to/pg/data (other options if need) start

and you should see any startup problems displayed on the console. if the
server actually starts, then it should start logging to
$PGDATA/pg_log/.....   and you might tail the newest of those files to
see whats going on.

Q:  is the pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf files in the data directory,
or was this a ubuntu/debian setup where they put them in /etc/pgsql/...
?        if its a debian/ubuntu setup a bunch of things were moved
around, logging is in /var/log/...  the config files are in /etc   and
so forth.