Re: VS 2015 support in src/tools/msvc - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: VS 2015 support in src/tools/msvc
Date
Re: VS 2015 support in src/tools/msvc  (Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

On 03/08/2016 10:43 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Do we already have a hard dependency on perl for all non-Windows builds?
>> I know it's been discussed but I don't recall. If so, back to what version?
> I think the policy is we require perl for building from a git pull,
> but not for building from a tarball.  Thus, any files that perl is used
> to produce have to be shipped in tarballs.
>
> However, there definitely *is* a hard requirement on perl for Windows
> builds, even from tarballs, and I thought this patch was only about
> the Windows build?

Michael's patch proposes to replace the use of sed to generate probes.h
with the perl equivalent everywhere. That has the advantage that we keep
to one script to generate probes.h, but it does impose a perl dependency.

We could get around that by shipping probes.h in tarballs, which seems
like a perfectly reasonable thing to do. If we don't like that we can
fall back to using the perl script just for MSVC builds.

cheers

andrew