Re: pg_dump / copy bugs with "big lines" ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: pg_dump / copy bugs with "big lines" ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 03/02/2016 04:23 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> On 03/02/2016 03:18 PM, Daniel Verite wrote:
>>> However, getting it to the client with \copy big2 to 'file'
>>> still produces the error in psql:
>>> lost synchronization with server: got message type "d"
>>> and leaves an empty file, so there are more problems to solve to
>>> go beyond 2GB text per row.
>
>> My guess is this is a problem at the protocol level - the 'd' message is
>> CopyData, and all the messages use int32 to define length. So if there's
>> a 2GB row, it's likely to overflow.
>
> I'm too lazy to check the exact wording, but I don't think there's a hard
> and fast promise in the protocol doc that one CopyData message == one row.
> So we could probably subdivide a very wide line into multiple messages.

Well, actually we claim this [1]:
    Data that forms part of a COPY data stream. Messages sent from the    backend will always correspond to single data
rows,but messages    sent by frontends might divide the data stream arbitrarily.

So that suggests 1:1 messages to rows, although I'm not sure how
difficult would it be to relax this (or how much the clients might rely
on this).

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/protocol-message-formats.html

regards