Re: Only owners can ANALYZE tables...seems overly restrictive - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Only owners can ANALYZE tables...seems overly restrictive
Date
List pgsql-general
On 02/29/2016 10:06 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> On 02/29/2016 05:31 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
>
>>> Realistically, ANALYZE is a background/maintenance task that autovacuum
>>> should be handling for you.
>>
>> Incorrect. That would be autoanalyze and although they are similar they are
>> not the same. ANALYZE is used for a number of things, not the least is query
>> profiling.
>
> I think you are confusing ANALYZE with EXPLAIN ANALYZE.

Actually I am not but I can see how it wasn't clear.

> I am not aware of any way in which ANALYZE is different from what you
> call "autoanalyze" (which is really just an autovacuum-invoked ANALYZE
> and for which we don't have any specific term).

One item that can be helpful from ANALYZE (not EXPLAIN ANALYZE) is
modifying the statistics via SET, running Analyze and see if the query
improves. You can then determine where best to set those statistics
(usually ALTER TABLE).

Sincerely,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564