Re: how do you determine if you have a healthy database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: how do you determine if you have a healthy database
Date
List pgsql-general
On 02/08/2016 04:28 PM, Gregery L. Thompson wrote:
> Two quick questions
>
> 1.How do you determine if you have a healthy database?

I would say start by looking at the database logs. If you are seeing
FATAL and PANIC errors something is not happy.

A lot of this depends on what you consider healthy?

There are conditions within the database, i.e. file corruption and then
there are conditions outside of the database, memory issues, lack of
space, etc. The two can also be connected, where bad memory or hard
drive causes database file corruption.

> 2.It needs to be healthy before rebooting correct?

It depends on what is causing the problem. Postgres has a single user
mode that can be started to fix some problems. Also if the database
issue was that it was resource constrained and you fixed that then the
database could be started.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com