Re: Create db fails using utility tool - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Create db fails using utility tool
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 02/04/2016 08:15 PM, Shashank Dutt Jha wrote:
> pgAdmin tool.
>
> Yes running both on same machine.
>
> With explicit options, as suggested, it is able to create db.

Probably because this is on Windows. When you run createdb without -h it
assumes you want to connect to a socket. On Windows that is not possible
so Postgres substitutes localhost in for the socket. I am not exactly
how that is done, but I suspect the manner in which is done is causing a
Windows anti-virus or firewall program to block the connection. FYI,
createdb is just a command line wrapper around the SQL command CREATE
DATABASE:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/interactive/sql-createdatabase.html

so you can do the same thing in psql or pgAdmin.

> Thanks for help

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com