Re: Catalog bloat (again) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Catalog bloat (again)
Date
List pgsql-general
On 1/27/2016 2:54 PM, Ivan Voras wrote:
> For blocking reasons, we'd like to avoid vacuum fulls on these tables
> (as it seems like touching them will lock up everything else).

vacuum full isn't nearly as nasty in 9.x than it was in much older
releases, so a lot of the caveats no longer apply.

with 10000 actual records, I'd expect a vacuum full of those system
catalogs to go in a matter of seconds, and afaik the only thing that
would be locked would be metadata changes (eg, creating or alter tables
etc).

disabling autovacuum is a very bad idea for exactly these reasons. if
you have specific large tables that autovacuum is causing performances
problems on, tune the autovacuum settings on those specific tables.