Re: GIN pending list clean up exposure to SQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: GIN pending list clean up exposure to SQL
Date
Re: GIN pending list clean up exposure to SQL  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 27/01/2016 10:27, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 6:17 AM, Fujii Masao
>> <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> When I compiled the PostgreSQL with the patch, I got the
>>> following error. ISTM that the inclusion of pg_am.h header file
>>> is missing in ginfast.c.
>>
>> Thanks.  Fixed.
>>
>>> gin_clean_pending_list() must check whether the server is in
>>> recovery or not. If it's in recovery, the function must exit
>>> with an error. That is, IMO, something like the following check
>>> must be added.
>>>
>>> if (RecoveryInProgress()) ereport(ERROR,
>>>
>>> (errcode(ERRCODE_OBJECT_NOT_IN_PREREQUISITE_STATE),
>>> errmsg("recovery is in progress"), errhint("GIN pending list
>>> cannot be cleaned up during recovery.")));
>>>
>>> It's better to make gin_clean_pending_list() check whether the
>>> target index is temporary index of other sessions or not, like
>>> pgstatginindex() does.
>>
>> I've added both of these checks.  Sorry I overlooked your early
>> email in this thread about those.
>>

>>> +    Relation    indexRel = index_open(indexoid,
>>> AccessShareLock);
>>>
>>> ISTM that AccessShareLock is not safe when updating the pending
>>> list and GIN index main structure. Probaby we should use
>>> RowExclusiveLock?
>>
>> Other callers of the ginInsertCleanup function also do so while
>> holding only the AccessShareLock on the index.  It turns out
>> that there is a bug around this, as discussed in "Potential GIN
>> vacuum bug"
>> (http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAMkU=1xALfLhUUohFP5v33RzedLVb5aknNUjcEuM9KNBKrB6-Q@mail.gmail.com)

But, that bug has to be solved at a deeper level than this patch.

>> I've also cleaned up some other conflicts, and chose a more
>> suitable OID for the new catalog function.
>>
>> The number of new header includes needed to implement this makes
>> me wonder if I put this code in the correct file, but I don't see
>> a better location for it.
>>
>> New version attached.
>
> Thanks for updating the patch! It looks good to me.
>
> Based on your patch, I just improved the doc. For example, I added
> the following note into the doc.
>
> +    These functions cannot be executed during recovery. +    Use
> of these functions is restricted to superusers and the owner +
> of the given index.
>
> If there is no problem, I'm thinking to commit this version.

Just a detail:

+    Note that the cleanup does not happen and the return value is 0
+    if the argument is the GIN index built with <literal>fastupdate</>
+    option disabled because it doesn't have a pending list.

It should be "if the argument is *a* GIN index"

I find this sentence a little confusing, maybe rephrase like this would
be better:

-    Note that the cleanup does not happen and the return value is 0
-    if the argument is the GIN index built with <literal>fastupdate</>
-    option disabled because it doesn't have a pending list.
+    Note that if the argument is a GIN index built with
<literal>fastupdate</>
+    option disabled, the cleanup does not happen and the return value
is 0
+    because the index doesn't have a pending list.

Otherwise, I don't see any problem on this version.

Regards.

--
Julien Rouhaud
http://dalibo.com - http://dalibo.org