Re: yum packages for 9.5 vs <=9.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: yum packages for 9.5 vs <=9.4
Date
List pgsql-general
On 01/21/2016 10:09 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> the yum packages for 9.5 apparently changed the path of the socket from
> /tmp to /var/run/postgresql
>
> I have several versions installed on the same dev system running on
> different ports....  for 9.1 through 9.4 this was no problem, but since
> I installed 9.5, I now have to specify -h /tmp -p XXXX to connect to an
> earlier version, this has raised havoc with my scripts and stuff, for
> instance this script invoked from crontab no longer works on the earlier
> versions...
>
> #!/bin/bash
> ## postgres backup script
> DD=$(date +%a)
> PP=/backups/pgsql/svfis-kvm3
> for p in 5432 5433 5434 5435; do
>     pg_dumpall -p $p -g -f $PP/pg_dumpall.$p.globals-$DD.sql
>     for db in $(psql -p $p -tc "select datname from pg_database where
> not datistemplate"); do
>         pg_dump -Fc -p $p --schema-only -f $PP/pgdump.$p.$db.$DD.dump -d
> $db
>     done
> done

I have not actually done it but from here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/interactive/runtime-config-connection.html

unix_socket_directories (string)

     Specifies the directory of the Unix-domain socket(s) on which the
server is to listen for connections from client applications. Multiple
sockets can be created by listing multiple directories separated by
commas. Whitespace between entries is ignored; surround a directory name
with double quotes if you need to include whitespace or commas in the
name. An empty value specifies not listening on any Unix-domain sockets,
in which case only TCP/IP sockets can be used to connect to the server.
The default value is normally /tmp, but that can be changed at build
time. This parameter can only be set at server start.

     In addition to the socket file itself, which is named .s.PGSQL.nnnn
where nnnn is the server's port number, an ordinary file named
.s.PGSQL.nnnn.lock will be created in each of the
unix_socket_directories directories. Neither file should ever be removed
manually.

     This parameter is irrelevant on Windows, which does not have
Unix-domain sockets.

Seems it would be possible to change the above to point at both /tmp and
/var/run/postgresql and keep everybody happy.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com