Re: WIP: CoC V5 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: WIP: CoC V5
Date
Re: WIP: CoC V5  (Neil <neil@fairwindsoft.com>)
Re: WIP: CoC V5  (Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Updated.

Tl;dr;

  * Removed excess wording
  * Removed non-.org controlled spaces in first paragraph
  * Added explicit discussion on explicit problem with last paragraph of
Kevin's last version.

== PostgreSQL Community Code of Conduct (CoC) ==

This document is intended to provide community guidelines for
creating and enforcing a safe, respectful, productive, and
collaborative place for any person who is willing to contribute in
a safe, respectful, productive and collaborative way.  It applies
to all "collaborative space", which is defined as community
communications channels (such as mailing lists, IRC, submitted
patches, commit comments, etc.).

* Participants must ensure that their language and actions are free
of personal attacks and disparaging personal remarks.

* When interpreting the words and actions of others, participants
should always assume good intentions.

* Participants must avoid sustained disruption of the collaborative
space, or any pattern of behavior which could reasonably be
considered harassment.

=== END ===

I have serious problems with the below[1]. My main concern is this and I
am going to use real people to
illustrate the issue:

  * I am a left leaning realist with some libretarian leanings.
    (I voted for Obama)

  * Andrew D is a left leaning lefist
    (He might vote for Sanders)

We are both high profile contributors and often have public discourse
on who is right or wrong. This is good. It is fun and we poke at
each other but we continue to respect each other.

However, there are people in this community that are far right
and far left. It is not the responsibility of .Org to determine
who is right or wrong there. Period.

Now, how does this apply (as an example)? There are very loud people in
this community who are pro-gay marriage and they are unable to respect
those who don't agree with the position. There are also those who are
anti-gay marriage that do the same.

If someone stands up in a respectful way in a public place and argues
a position, they should not be demonized or punished for that. I am
100% certain the below will cause issues. We need different wording
if we are going to take that into account.

1. There is a distinction between words and actions taken within the
community and words and actions outside community communication
channels and events, but there is a gray area when using public
forums or social media where a person identifies as a member of
this community.  Members of the community, especially those with a
high profile within the community, should be mindful of this and
avoid saying or doing anything in such venues which might create an
unwelcoming or hostile attitude toward the community.

                      +1-503-667-4564