Re: WIP: CoC V5 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WIP: CoC V5
Date
Re: WIP: CoC V5
List pgsql-general
Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com> writes:
> I still feel it is more productive to discuss a proposed document
> than proposed language for some "motion to adopt".

Agreed.  We're trying to write a document, not a document about a
document.

> ... It applies
> to all "collaborative space", which is defined as community
> communications channels (such as mailing lists, IRC, submitted
> patches, commit comments, etc.) and to public events (such as
> meetings and conferences) which are associated with the PostgreSQL
> community.  Private communications which result from words or
> actions in the collaborative space should also conform to the
> standards stated here.

Magnus pointed out to me that (1) appropriate behavior in the virtual
space is not necessarily the same as appropriate behavior in physical
contexts such as meetings, and (2) most conferences already have their
own CoCs, which we should not be attempting to override.  So I'm
inclined to think that this CoC should be specifically about on-line
interaction, and explicitly leave it to conference organizers to set up
CoCs that work for their situations.

My general reaction to the rest of this is that it's got the right
idea, but it could be cut to about half the length and be better
off for that.  Short and sweet is the way, IMO.

            regards, tom lane