Re: rotatelogs integration in pg_ctl - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Swan
Subject Re: rotatelogs integration in pg_ctl
Date
List pgsql-hackers
<quote who="Peter Eisentraut">
> Thomas Swan wrote:
>> Is there a reason the postmasters cannot just close/reopen-recreate
>> the log file when a SIGHUP or other signal is issued like apache?
>
> Yes, because there is no "log file".  The postmaster writes to stdout or
> stderr.

Ok, my misunderstanding.  stdout/stderr are redirected to a file on
startup.  This is why when I move/rename the logfile I have to stop/start
postgresql to start appending to the empty file.

Would there be any interest in modifying postmaster to support native file
logging in addition to stderr and stdout output?  Are there any terrible
drawbacks that you could foresee?