Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Achilleas Mantzios
Subject Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/01/2016 18:47, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had a hard time writing this email. I think Code of Conducts are non-essential, a waste of respectful people's time
andfrankly if you are going to be a jerk, our community will call you out on
> it. Unfortunately a lot of people don't agree with that. I have over the course of the last year seen more and more
potentialusers very explicitly say, "I will not contribute to a project or attend
> a conference that does not have a CoC".
>
> Some of us may be saying, "Well we don't want those people". I can't argue with some facts though. Ubuntu has had a
CoC[1]since the beginning of the project and they grew exceedingly quick. Having
> walls in the hallway of interaction isn't always a bad thing.
>
> In reflection, the only thing a CoC does is put in writing what behaviour we as a project already require, so why not
documentit and use it as a tool to encourage more contribution to our project?

> Sincerely,
>
> JD
>

> 1. http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu/conduct

Well, while I don't have an opinion, since after 16+ years I don't think I am going anywhere away from PostgreSQL, let
meshare my initial feelings about the community.
It was back in 2003, having spent already 3 years with the database and just starting to implement our own hierarchical
solutionbased on postgresql arrays and intarray contrib module, and heavily
hack DBMirror, when someone (high ranking) on -sql called me "newbie".
My immediate reaction was to start looking for alternatives. Obviously I failed (no OS DB was this good). Other times I
hadmy favorite OS (FreeBSD) being bashed by pgsql ppl, but held on, I am still
here, and ppl at pgsql conferences now talk about a company who has deployed over 100 pgsql installations in the seven
seascommunicating over satellite by a hacked version of uucp and replicated via
a heavily hacked version of DBmirror.

So while I think that a CoC might help beginners stay, I don't think that this is a major part, neither do I think that
theppl themselves will easily conform.

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead