Code of Conduct: Is it time? - Mailing list pgsql-general

Hello,

I had a hard time writing this email. I think Code of Conducts are
non-essential, a waste of respectful people's time and frankly if you
are going to be a jerk, our community will call you out on it.
Unfortunately a lot of people don't agree with that. I have over the
course of the last year seen more and more potential users very
explicitly say, "I will not contribute to a project or attend a
conference that does not have a CoC".

Some of us may be saying, "Well we don't want those people". I can't
argue with some facts though. Ubuntu has had a CoC[1] since the
beginning of the project and they grew exceedingly quick. Having walls
in the hallway of interaction isn't always a bad thing.

In reflection, the only thing a CoC does is put in writing what
behaviour we as a project already require, so why not document it and
use it as a tool to encourage more contribution to our project?

Sincerely,

JD

1. http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu/conduct