Re: 9.5 Release press coverage - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: 9.5 Release press coverage
Date
Re: 9.5 Release press coverage
Re: 9.5 Release press coverage
List pgsql-advocacy
On 01/11/2016 05:24 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> The rest of us (CMD, 2Q, OmniTI, etc...) are all just service providers. EDB
>> is the only "distribution" of PostgreSQL.

> In fact, here are a few other links where only a single PostgreSQL
> company is mentioned, found with a quick search of Google News:
>
> http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/2347067/met-office-selects-2ndquadrant-to-help-with-data-migration-to-open-source
> http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ibm-unveils-linux-only-mainframe-builds-on-linux-success-300129060.html
> http://www.infodsi.com/articles/153522/dalibo-propose-formations-gratuites-postgresql.html

The first article quite clearly states that 2ndQuadrant is part of the
PostgreSQL community, and while it does not mention other companies in
no way it suggests that 2ndQuadrant is the company responsible for
making PostgreSQL. Similarly for the second article.

I can't really judge the third one, as my French is not that good.

> Now, from any of those articles, you could easily conclude, if you
> didn't know better, that the PostgreSQL company mentioned in the
> article is the only one that exists. It's certainly the case, in
> each instance, that no other company is mentioned besides the one
> quoted, and there's no disclaimer, hey, we're just one company in
> the community. I don't think any PostgreSQL company is obliged to
> insert such a disclaimer into every interview. You couldn't get the
> journalists to take them anyway, certainly not in every case. And
> why should anybody even be obliged to try?

I think it's one thing when an article does not mention other companies
(which is perfectly understandable and I have no problem with that) and
a completely different thing when it gives the impression that there are
no other companies or that one company is responsible for the new
release. And it has nothing to do with the number of people in your PR
department.

I'm not suggesting Renee or Dave made such claims on purpose. I'd expect
authorization of the articles before publication, but I'm not familiar
with the process so maybe I'm too naive.

FWIW I'm not here to tell anyone how to do PR, but let me say that I've
received a number of WTF reactions from a number of people who happen to
understand how PostgreSQL community works, including possible future
customers. So it's probably in your interest to make the wording clear.

In any case, I don't quite see the point of posting "EDB announces 9.5"
to pgsql-announce right after the official announcement, but I do see
how that might be confusing for people outside the community.

regards