Re: 9.5 Release press coverage - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Fetter
Subject Re: 9.5 Release press coverage
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 11:24:03PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > The rest of us (CMD, 2Q, OmniTI, etc...) are all just service providers. EDB
> > is the only "distribution" of PostgreSQL.
>
> From a technical point of view, it certainly isn't.  There are
> certainly other companies distributing PostgreSQL, in source code, in
> RPM form, and maybe even in fat client installers, though I don't know
> of anyone else doing that last one at the moment.

There's 2UDA and some others, most of the latter proprietary.

> But from a PR point of view, I'm not sure how many other PostgreSQL
> companies have dedicated PR departments as EnterpriseDB does.  I
> suspect, although I do not know, that a journalist who gets a press
> contact from PostgreSQL is much more likely to get that contact from
> an EnterpriseDB staff member than an employee of any other PostgreSQL
> company, because we pay multiple people to do that kind of thing.  I
> can say categorically that it is the intention of EnterpriseDB
> management and of the people who work in our marketing department to
> promote both PostgreSQL and EnterpriseDB, not just EnterpriseDB.  I
> can also say that the people who work in our marketing department, and
> particularly Renee Deger with whom I have worked a good deal, are
> people of integrity who sincerely intend to do the right thing not
> only for EnterpriseDB but also for PostgreSQL.  That does not mean
> they always get it right, but they sincerely try, and implying
> otherwise is unfair.

I apologize for implying this.

What I didn't think was kosher, and should have mentioned very
specifically, was sending a press release *to the PostgreSQL -announce
list* that was in essence a duplicate of the 9.5 PGDG one and then
included a large blurb about EnterpriseDB.  Had it included, as the
2UDA one did, some kind of announcement about EnterpriseDB's own new
value adds, of which I'm sure there are plenty, it would have been.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!