Re: 9.5 Release press coverage - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From damien@dalibo.info
Subject Re: 9.5 Release press coverage
Date
Re: 9.5 Release press coverage
List pgsql-advocacy
Le 11.01.2016 05:24, Robert Haas a écrit :
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>
> wrote:
>> The rest of us (CMD, 2Q, OmniTI, etc...) are all just service
>> providers. EDB
>> is the only "distribution" of PostgreSQL.

I believe we can include Pivotal and CitusData as distributors as well,
and there's also cloud providers such as Heroku or Redshift, which do
not distribute code but they have an important role during a release
announcement (especially if it's a security alert like for 9.2.4 ) and
they have some PR firepower too

> [...]

>  I suspect that when
> 2ndQuadrant or Dalibo or PGExperts or CommandPrompt or OmniTI puts out
> a PostgreSQL-related press release or does an interview for a trade
> rag about PostgreSQL, they don't typically say "now let me tell you
> about EnterpriseDB, who also contributes to the PostgreSQL community".

Maybe there's a simple way to address the problem. Every standard Press
Release has an "About section" where you put general info about the
company itself. For instance :

About FooBar :
==================

FooBar is the best company in the world, blah blah blah.

Check out our shiny website : http://www.foo.bar

Now what we could do is ask every major PostgreSQL company to add the a
generic "About PostgreSQL" section at the end of their Press Release.
This section would be
very neutral, something like this:

About PostgreSQL
====================

PostgreSQL is a powerful, open source object-relational database system.
It has more than 15 years of active development and a proven
architecture that has earned it a strong reputation for reliability,
data integrity, and correctness. It is fully ACID compliant and runs on
all major operating systems. PostgreSQL developed by a large
international community composed of consulting companies, distributors,
support providers, cloud companies, DBA Freelancers and researchers.

Learn more at http://www.postgresql.org

The content can be discussed of course but I'm pretty sure we could
reach consensus on a
short paragraph like the one above. We could even try to involve the PR
guys from the various PostgreSQL companies.

Then we contact the 10 or 15 major PostgreSQL companies and ask them
kindly to add that generic "About PostgreSQL" paragraph to every
Postgres-related Press Release they will issue. It's not gonna hurt
their original message in any way...

Of course there's no way to enforce this... After all, any company can
write a PR and pretend to be  the PostgreSQL leader... However adding
this generic about section would be a sign that the company is being a
"good citizen" of the community

And from a journalist point of view, if you receive several press
release from different companies and all these PR share the exact same
"About PostgreSQL" section, they will read it many times and maybe with
enough exposure to this text, they may finally understand how our
community works :-)

--
Damien Clochard