Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/01/16 21:31, Regina Obe wrote:
>> I was at the 2015 Australian Linux Conference (held in Auckland, NZ), when
> Sarah Sharp harangued Linus Torvalds for over 20 minutes. Linus remained
> calm and polite throughout, yet most people would have been obviously
> annoyed within the first 5 minutes.  As backround see:
> http://www.networkworld.com/article/2988850/opensource-subnet/linux-kernel-d
> ev-sarah-sharp-quits-citing-brutal-communications-style.html
>
>> I think some people, unintentionally, set themselves up as a victim.
>> So I would agree that a Coc is likely only to lead to arguments. Take
> something innocuous like 'do not offend people' - sounds good, now politely
> explain why someone's deeply held beliefs contradict reality!
>

>> Cheers,
>> Gavin
>
> Sarah is my most favorite person in the world.  I made critical comments on
> her blog once when she went crazy on Linus which she deleted. I must be a
> troll. I see now she's into doing stats on the people she deleted comments
> of.
I initially heard about Sarah when I read an item about her being the
first to implement USB 3 support, and it was for Linux!  So I started
off having tremendous respect for her.  While I have programmed at the
assembly level for 3 different types of processors many years ago, I am
certain she is considerably more competent than I ever was technically.

> http://sarah.thesharps.us/2016/01/07/metrics-of-haters/
I had a look at this.

While there obviously were some comments that I and most others would
utterly condemn - there was no breakdown of other comments. So no way of
knowing if she considered all criticism of her as being hateful.

> Maybe we should suggest she should use PostgreSQL for that and demonstrate
> our fancy stat functions.
>
> She won Red Hat Woman of the Year Award -
> https://www.redhat.com/en/about/women-in-open-source
>
> Sarah Sharp
> 2015 Community Award winner
>
> Am I the only one concerned about some of the women role models we have in
> FOSS?
Am I, as a mere male, entitled to have an opinion on this?  :-)

It is very sad, that some people would answer the above question with a
resounding no!