Re: public synonym - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: public synonym
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 01/07/2016 12:27 PM, michael@sqlexec.com wrote:
> You can infer the context by first setting the search_path variable.
> You can set it initially in your connection or do it for a database
> context or even a role context
> SET search_path = MASTER_USER, public, pg_catalog;
> ALTER DATABASE whatever  SET search_path = MASTER_USER, public, pg_catalog;
> ALTER ROLE whoever SET search_path = MASTER_USER, public, pg_catalog;

Just be aware that Postgres folds identifiers to lower case:

test=# create schema MASTER_USER;
CREATE SCHEMA
test=# \dn    List of schemas    Name     |  Owner
-------------+---------- master_user | postgres public      | postgres

test=# create table MASTER_USER.test_tbl(id int);
CREATE TABLE

test=# \d master_user.test_tbl Table "master_user.test_tbl" Column |  Type   | Modifiers
--------+---------+----------- id     | integer |

UNLESS the tool you are using to create objects quotes the object name:

test=# create schema "MASTER_USER";
CREATE SCHEMA

test=# create table MASTER_USER.test_tbl(id int);
ERROR:  schema "master_user" does not exist

test=# create table "MASTER_USER".test_tbl(id int);
CREATE TABLE

test=# \d "MASTER_USER".test_tbl Table "MASTER_USER.test_tbl" Column |  Type   | Modifiers

More details at:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/sql-syntax-lexical.html

4.1.1. Identifiers and Key Words

--