Re: Very confusing installcheck behavior with PGXS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Very confusing installcheck behavior with PGXS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/6/16 11:54 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 5:22 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com> wrote:
>>> The rule that gets executed if you do `make installcheck` with something
>>> using PGXS is
>>>
>>> pgxs.mk:        $(pg_regress_installcheck) $(REGRESS_OPTS) $(REGRESS)
>>>
>>> where $(pg_regress_installcheck) is set in Makefile.global.in to
>>>
>> pg_regress_installcheck = $(top_builddir)/src/test/regress/pg_regress
>> --inputdir=$(srcdir) --bindir='$(bindir)' $(pg_regress_locale_flags)
>> $(EXTRA_REGRESS_OPTS)
>>>
>>> The problem here is that in a PGXS make, srcdir is set to '.'[1], and
>>> --inputdir is specified a second time in REGRESS_OPTS. Normally that works
>>> OK (for some reason ignoring what's in ./sql), but if you happen to have a
>>> file in your test/sql directory that matches a file in ./sql, pg_regress
>>> runs the first file and not the second.
>
>> Stupid question time: why in the world would you have that?

It doesn't seem that odd to have a test file that matches an extension
file...

> AFAICS, the pieces we supply (Makefile.global and pgxs.mk) would only
> specify --inputdir once.  If there's a second specification being added
> to REGRESS_OPTS by your own Makefile, that would override the default,
> which seems like entirely sensible behavior.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding
> something, but it sounds like you're saying "if I write --inputdir=test
> in REGRESS_OPTS, it runs the tests in test/sql not those in ./sql".
> Why would you not think that's expected?

Actually, it's more bizarre than I thought...

This is what my makefile[1] produces, which currently works:
/Users/decibel/pgsql/HEAD/i/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/../../src/test/regress/pg_regress
--inputdir=./ --bindir='/Users/decibel/pgsql/HEAD/i/bin'
--inputdir=test --load-language=plpgsql --dbname=contrib_regression
acl_type build compat rights

Removing the first --inputdir also works:
/Users/decibel/pgsql/HEAD/i/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/../../src/test/regress/pg_regress
--bindir='/Users/decibel/pgsql/HEAD/i/bin'   --inputdir=test

--load-language=plpgsql --dbname=contrib_regression acl_type build
compat rights

However, if I do this:
mv test/sql/acl_type.sql test/sql/acl.sql
mv test/expected/acl_type.out test/expected/acl.out

And change acl_type to acl in that pg_regress command:
/Users/decibel/pgsql/HEAD/i/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/../../src/test/regress/pg_regress
--bindir='/Users/decibel/pgsql/HEAD/i/bin' --inputdir=test
--load-language=plpgsql --dbname=contrib_regression acl build compat rights

Instead of executing test/sql/acl.sql, it executes ./sql/acl.sql.

I'd assumed this was due to the extra --inputdir option, but clearly
something else is going on here.

Time to gvim pg_regress.c...

[1] https://github.com/decibel/pg_acl