Re: 9.5 BLOCKER: regrole and regnamespace and quotes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: 9.5 BLOCKER: regrole and regnamespace and quotes
Date
Re: 9.5 BLOCKER: regrole and regnamespace and quotes  (Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com>)
Re: 9.5 BLOCKER: regrole and regnamespace and quotes  (Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/3/16 9:43 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com> writes:
>> On 1/3/16 9:23 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Another potential problem for regnamespace is that it doesn't allow an
>> entry for the catalog. I'm not sure what the spec says about that, but
>> every other function allows dbname.schema.blah (dbname == catalog).
>
> Meh, these types conform to no spec, so we can make them do what we
> like.  I see about zero reason to allow a catalog name, it would mostly
> just confuse people.

Ok. Not like CREATE SCHEMA allows that anyway.

>> I started working on a fix, but it's currently blowing up in bootstrap
>> and I haven't been able to figure out why yet:
>> running bootstrap script ... FATAL:  improper qualified name (too many
>> dotted names): oid_ops
>
> Recommendation: don't muck with DeconstructQualifiedName.  That is called
> in too many places and we are *not* touching any such API twenty-four
> hours before release wrap.

Yeah, looks like that's what was blowing up.

> There's no real advantage to that anyway, compared with just doing
> stringToQualifiedNameList and then complaining if its list_length isn't 1.

What I went with. Now to figure out why this is happening...

   SELECT regnamespace('pg_catalog');
! ERROR:  schema "Y" does not exist
! LINE 1: SELECT regnamespace('pg_catalog');
!

Attachment