Re: pam auth - add rhost item - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: pam auth - add rhost item
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Actually, one more thing - the patch should probably update the docs
too, because client-auth.sgml currently says this in the "auth-pam" section:
   <para>    ...    PAM is used only to validate user name/password pairs.    ...   </para>

I believe that's no longer true, because the patch adds PAM_RHOST to the
user/password fields.

Regarding the other PAM_* fields, none of them strikes me as very useful
for our use case.

In a broader sense, I think this patch is quite desirable, despite being
rather simple (which is good). I certainly don't agree with suggestions
that we can already do things like this through pg_hba.conf. If we're
providing PAM authentication, let's make it as complete/useful as
possible. In some cases modifying PAM may not be feasible - e.g. some
management systems rely on PAM as much as possible, and doing changes in
other ways is a major hassle.

regards