Re: HELP!!! The WAL Archive is taking up all space - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: HELP!!! The WAL Archive is taking up all space
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/9/15 7:05 PM, Andreas Kretschmer wrote:
>> I'm really newbie to PostgreSQL but the boss pushed me to handle it
>> >and implement it in production f*&%*$%%$#%$#&# (forgive me)
>> >They don't hire a database expert, I don't know why.
> You can learn that. PostgreSQL is really, really great.
> Btw.: i know companies providing remote DBA service for PostgreSQL.

Even if you want to learn all about Postgres, I'd strongly recommend
your company get some kind of a contract in place with an experienced
Postgres expert. Databases are some of the most complicated pieces of
software out there, and there's any number of ways you can really screw
yourself if you're not careful. Almost all other software is stateless
and pretty easy to fix mistakes in (screwed up a firewall config? Hit
the console, fix it, and you're good. Screwed up the database? All your
data may now be gone forever!)

As a Postgres consultant my opinion is obviously biased, but I've seen
plenty of horror stories where recovery of data becomes virtually
impossible, frequently without any kind of a backup in place.

It is possible that the data you're storing just isn't that important
(as hard as database people find that to believe!). If that's your case
then you can probably just turn off archiving and not worry about it.

Finally, as someone else said, *a replica is NOT a backup!*