Re: [SOLVED] Postgre Fails To Start in Multi-User Mode - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Brady
Subject Re: [SOLVED] Postgre Fails To Start in Multi-User Mode
Date
List pgsql-general
On 14/12/2015 11:39 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
On 12/13/2015 4:22 PM, Peter Brady wrote:
Again there appears to be nothing logged to indicate why the server is not starting at this point.

the standard versions of postgres for RHEL/CentOS leave two sets of logs... 1 is the startup log /var/lib/pgsql/9.2/pgstartup.log, and the other is the regular PG logging, in /var/lib/pgsql/9.2/data/pg_log/* ...

I'd run the /normal/  pg startup script as their may be site specific environments configured by the original administrator...

    #  service postgresql-9.2 start

and then look at the startup log first.   if it ends with...

2015-07-21 00:33:31.851 PDT @[]: LOG:  redirecting log output to logging collector process
2015-07-21 00:33:31.851 PDT @[]: HINT:  Future log output will appear in directory "pg_log"

then look in the data/pg_log directory for a new file dated today.
Hi John,

Thanks for the heads up on that second log.  I was focusing on:

/var/lib/pgsql/9.2/pgstartup.log

as that's what I found in the init.d script.  It however was empty.

The key was in the second log in:

/var/lib/pgsql/9.2/data/pg_log/*

which pointed to a typo in pg_hba for host ip specification.  Clearly the typo had not been through a restart yet and when I restarted the machine it hit the bug.  That was then a simple fix as the IP address was missing its CDIR mask.

Cheers,
-pete
Attachment