Re: COPY (INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE .. RETURNING ..) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Tiikkaja
Subject Re: COPY (INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE .. RETURNING ..)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2015-11-16 08:24, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 2:49 AM, Marko Tiikkaja <marko@joh.to> wrote:
>> Attached is a patch for being able to do $SUBJECT without a CTE.  The
>> reasons this is better than a CTE version are:
>>
>>    1) It's not obvious why a CTE version works but a plain one doesn't
>>    2) This one has less overhead (I measured a ~12% improvement on a
>> not-too-unreasonable test case)
>
> Would you mind sharing this test case as well as numbers?

Attached the test case I used; removing a batch of old rows from a table
through an index.  Best out of three runs, I get 13.1 seconds versus
15.0 seconds, which should amount to an improvement of around 12.7%.

Also attached a v3 of the patch which adds an Assert on top of the test
case changes suggested by you.

.m

Attachment