Re: query option in COPY postgres - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: query option in COPY postgres
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 11/06/2015 02:54 PM, masyaf wrote:
> Can you give any details about that?

I am assuming you are referring to COPY FROM a program.

Take a look at the docs:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/sql-copy.html

"When PROGRAM is specified, the server executes the given command and
reads from the standard output of the program, or writes to the standard
input of the program. The command must be specified from the viewpoint
of the server, and be executable by the PostgreSQL user. When STDIN or
STDOUT is specified, data is transmitted via the connection between the
client and the server."

In my case I would write the program in Python and output CSV. Every
time I do that though, I just go ahead and use the copy_from() method of
the psycopg2 cursor and never get to the above.