Re: September 2015 Commitfest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Torsten Zuehlsdorff
Subject Re: September 2015 Commitfest
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 05.11.2015 13:49, Craig Ringer wrote:

>> I believe that we need to lower the barrier for testing.
>
> While I agree, I'd also like to note that formulaic testing is often
> of limited utility. Good testing still requires a significant
> investment of time and effort to understand the changes made by a
> patch, which areas need focused attention, think about corner cases,
> etc.

Yes, you are right. But a limited test is better than no test at all.
But of course not enough.

For me it is easy to check comments or sql commands, but not the c code.
But with lower barriers it would be easier to test 2 of the 3 mentioned
items. At the moment its often none, because its hard.

> "make check passes" doesn't really tell anyone that much.
>
>> I could even imagine to set up an open for everyone test-instance of HEAD
>> where users are allowed to test like the wanted. Than the barrier is reduced
>> to "connect to PostgreSQL and execute SQL".
>
> Gee, that'd be fun to host ;)>
> More seriously, it's not HEAD that's of that much interest, it's HEAD
> + [some patch or set of patches].
>
> There are systems that can pull in patchsets, build a project, and run
> it. But for something like PostgreSQL it'd be pretty hard to offer
> wide public access, given the trivial potential for abuse.

Yes, but i would do this. Creating a FreeBSD Jail which is reset
regularly is no great deal and very secure. My bigger problem is the
lack of IPv4 addresses. At the moment i am limited to IPv6 only hosts.

Greetings,
Torsten