Re: Request: pg_cancel_backend variant that handles 'idle in transaction' sessions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Request: pg_cancel_backend variant that handles 'idle in transaction' sessions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/04/2015 12:31 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

>> My issue isn't long statements, but broken client, that is broken in wrong
>> state - connect is still active, but no any statement will coming.
>
> Right, 'Idle in transaction'.  Agree that a setting directed purely at
> that problem could set a much lower timeout, say, 5 minutes or less
> since it almost never comes up in real applications.  In fact, in 15
> years of postgres development, I've never seen 'idle transaction' that
> indicated anything but application malfunction.

I can +1 that.

> That being said, hour timeout for general case would work for me.  It
> would only have to be set lower for very busy OLTP databases where
> continuous vacuum is essential.   In those cases, I don't mind forcing
> all batch processes to disclose in advance they are running long.

Yeah about an hour sounds right.

JD

> merlin

New rule for social situations: "If you think to yourself not even
JD would say this..." Stop and shut your mouth. It's going to be bad.