Re: BUG #1578: ::bit(n) behaves "differently" if applied to bit - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #1578: ::bit(n) behaves "differently" if applied to bit
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> ... Though this is slightly inconsistent in how it works with a
> bit string, it does seem the most useful approach.

Also, this is a behavior that we changed in 8.0 in response to previous
complaints.  Before changing it again, I'd want to see a pretty detailed
analysis of either (1) why the previous complainers were idiots, or
(2) why this change is still compatible with what they asked for ;-)

Where relevant, comments on SQL spec compliance would help the argument
too.  I don't think the spec defines any bit<->integer conversions,
but it definitely addresses the issue of converting from bit(m) to bit(n).

            regards, tom lane