Re: Importing CSV File - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Importing CSV File
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/26/2015 02:45 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
> I tried to import a CSV file into a PostgreSQL table using pgAdmin III.
> I got an error message: "extra data after last column."
>

> All my spreadsheets have an "end of data" column that has /r/n in each
> cell. When I import a CSV file into a MySQL table, everything beyond
> /r/n is ignored. Is there some way to tell PostgreSQL to stop at /r/n?

No Postgres will not stop at /r/n. The specifics of what goes on can be
found here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/sql-copy.html

Short version, you can import a CSV file with fewer fields then the
table you are importing to but not the other way around. There has to be
  a place for all the CSV fields in the table.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com