Re: Recursive Arrays 101 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Recursive Arrays 101
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/25/15 8:10 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
> @ Adrian Klaver: Oh, so you're suggesting I make separate tables for
> kingdoms, classes and on down to species. I'll research foreign keys and
> see what I can come up with. I hope I can make separate tables for
> mammal species, bird species, fish species, etc. There are just so many
> species - especially fish - the spreadsheets I use to organize them are
> just about maxed out as it is.

The suggestion is simply to have 7 tables:

CREATE TABLE kingdom(
   kingdom_id serial PRIMARY KEY
   , kingdom_name text NOT NULL
   , ...
);
CREATE TABLE phylum(
   phylum_id serial PRIMARY KEY
   , kingdom_id int NOT NULL REFERENCES kingdom
   , ...
);
CREATE TABLE class(
);