Re: Where do I enter commands? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Where do I enter commands?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/25/2015 07:57 AM, David Blomstrom wrote:
> It's hard to imagine creating a table with a command-line tool - in the
> step-by-step process I use with phpMyAdmin, that is. If you can learn
> the proper syntax for creating a table and put together a script for a
> generic table that you can easily modify, then maybe it would be a lot
> easier with a command-line tool.
>
> In phpMyAdmin, I've become accustomed to simply copying existing tables,
> then adding, deleting and renaming columns as needed.

In psql:

test=> CREATE TABLE orig_test(id integer, fld_1 varchar, fld_2 boolean,
fld_3 numeric(7,3));
CREATE TABLE

test=> \d orig_test
Table "public.orig_test"
Column | Type | Modifiers
--------+-------------------+-----------
id | integer |
fld_1 | character varying |
fld_2 | boolean |
fld_3 | numeric(7,3) |

test=> create table cp_test AS select * from orig_test ;
SELECT 0

test=> \d cp_test
Table "public.cp_test"
Column | Type | Modifiers
--------+-------------------+-----------
id | integer |
fld_1 | character varying |
fld_2 | boolean |
fld_3 | numeric(7,3) |

test=> alter table cp_test add column fld_4 date;
ALTER TABLE
test=> \d cp_test
          Table "public.cp_test"
  Column |       Type        | Modifiers
--------+-------------------+-----------
  id     | integer           |
  fld_1  | character varying |
  fld_2  | boolean           |
  fld_3  | numeric(7,3)      |
  fld_4  | date              |

One note, in Postgres new columns will always be added to end of table.

> I can see PostgreSQL is going to have a learning curve - hopefully
> shorter than the years it took me to learn MySQL - but it looks
> interesting. The community seems painfully small compared to MySQL, and
> there are less online resources. But I'm guessing that will change in
> the coming years. I remember when CSS was a strange, foreign thing. ;)

Last time I there was a count on the people on this mailing list I
remember a number of 33,000-34,000.