Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #13611: test_postmaster_connection failed (Windows, listen_addresses = '0.0.0.0' or '::') - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #13611: test_postmaster_connection failed (Windows, listen_addresses = '0.0.0.0' or '::')
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/23/15 11:10 PM, Noah Misch wrote:
> On RHEL 5 and some other "active adult" systems, "localhost" does not reach a
> listen_addresses='::' server.  IPv6 is available, but "localhost" resolves to
> 127.0.0.1 only.
>
> The latest systems resolve "localhost" to both 127.0.0.1 and ::1, in which
> case PQping("host='localhost'") will attempt both addresses in an unspecified
> order.  Given a postmaster with listen_addresses='0.0.0.0', contacting ::1
> first will fail (fine) or reach a different postmaster (not fine).

A design I have seen in some other systems is that you specify as a
configuration parameter an address by which you want to be contacted by
admin tools.  This might be overkill here since we only need to be
contacted by a local client and the discussion is hoping to handle those
cases, but if not it would be a more principled solution.