Re: temporary indexes? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: temporary indexes?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/21/15 3:28 PM, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2015, at 3:42 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
>> I misunderstood then. The only thing I can think of is to wrap in a transaction, though that presents other issues
withopen transactions and/or errors in the transaction.

> I just explicitly drop.  The convenience of an auto-drop would be a nice backup.
>
> Transactions and table-locking issues are probably why temporary indexes don't exist.

I think it's more that no one has proposed it until now. It probably
wouldn't be terribly hard to add them... the biggest issue would
probably be changing the buffer management code so it didn't assume that
a temporary relation went into temporary buffers. Other than that,
presumably they'd work the same as temp tables.