Re: Foreign join pushdown vs EvalPlanQual - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Etsuro Fujita
Subject Re: Foreign join pushdown vs EvalPlanQual
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
>>> No.  You just need to populate fdw_recheck_quals correctly, same as
>>> for the scan case.

On 2015/10/20 15:42, Kouhei Kaigai wrote:
> Please check my message yesterday. The non-nullable side of outer-join is
> always visible regardless of the join-clause pushed down, as long as it
> satisfies the scan-quals pushed-down.

Sorry, my explanation was not correct.  (Needed to take in caffeine.)
What I'm concerned about is the following:

SELECT * FROM localtab JOIN (ft1 LEFT JOIN ft2 ON ft1.x = ft2.x) ON
localtab.id = ft1.id FOR UPDATE OF ft1

LockRows
-> Nested Loop     Join Filter: (localtab.id = ft1.id)     -> Seq Scan on localtab     -> Foreign Scan on <ft1, ft2>
     Remote SQL: SELECT * FROM ft1 LEFT JOIN ft2 WHERE ft1.x =

ft2.x FOR UPDATE OF ft1

Assume that ft1 performs late row locking.  If an EPQ recheck was
invoked due to a concurrent transaction on the remote server that
changed only the value x of the ft1 tuple previously retrieved, then we
would have to generate a fake ft1/ft2-join tuple with nulls for ft2.
(Assume that the ft2 tuple previously retrieved was not a null tuple.)
However, I'm not sure how we can do that in ForeignRecheck; we can't
know for example, which one is outer and which one is inner, without an
alternative local join execution plan.  Maybe I'm missing something, though.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita