Re: Version management for extensions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Version management for extensions
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/18/15 6:43 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:

> It seems like there should be some way to mark a feature-release of an
> extension, versus a server-compatibility-only release (also versus a
> bug-fix-in-extension release).

The problem is worse than that: the 'version' string for an extension is
just that: a dumb string. So you can't even do intelligent >
comparisons, unless you're really careful with how you define your
string. If we had semantic versions you could at least mark bug releases
without blowing things up.

I don't see any great way to handle comparability other than to have
different extension names. I don't really see it as a problem though...
normally when something adds compatability with a new environment it's
done as part of a version release.

What might be interesting would be allowing the control file to specify
what PG versions are supported.