Re: Drop or alter column under load give ERROR #42804 structure of query does not match function result type: - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Drop or alter column under load give ERROR #42804 structure of query does not match function result type:
Date
Responses Re: Drop or alter column under load give ERROR #42804 structure of query does not match function result type:  (Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at>)
List pgsql-general
On 10/08/2015 11:32 PM, Victor Blomqvist wrote:
> I have a heavily used PostgreSQL 9.3.5 database on CentOS 6. Sometimes I
> need to add/remove columns, preferably without any service
> interruptions, but I get temporary errors.
>
> I follow the safe operations list from
> https://www.braintreepayments.com/blog/safe-operations-for-high-volume-postgresql
> but many operations cause troubles anyway when the more busy tables are
> updated.
>
> Typically I have user defined functions for all operations, and my table
> and functions follow this pattern:
>
> CREATE TABLE users (
>    id integer PRIMARY KEY,
>    name varchar NOT NULL,
>    to_be_removed integer NOT NULL
> );
>
> CREATE FUNCTION select_users(id_ integer) RETURNS SETOF users AS
> $$
> BEGIN
>    RETURN QUERY SELECT * FROM users WHERE id = id_;
> END;
> $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;
>
> Then the actual queries are run by our application as
>
> SELECT id, name FROM select_users(18);
>
> As you can see the column to_be_removed is not selected. Then to remove
> the column I use:
>
> ALTER TABLE users DROP COLUMN to_be_removed;
>
> However, while the system is under load sometimes (more frequently and
> persistent the more load the system is experiencing) I get errors like
> these:
>
>      ERROR #42804 structure of query does not match function result
> type: Number of returned columns (2) does not match expected column
> count (3).
>
> The same error can happen when columns are added. Can this be avoided
> somehow, or do I need to take the system offline during these kind of
> changes?

For the reason why this is happening see:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/plpgsql-implementation.html#PLPGSQL-PLAN-CACHING

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com