Re: postgresql doesn't start - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: postgresql doesn't start
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/03/2015 05:50 AM, Paolo De Michele wrote:
> hi there,
>
> thanks a lot
> so, I'm using docker on ubuntu 14.04
> about permissions:
>
> # ls -la /var/lib/postgresql/9.3/main
> total 72
> drwx------ 28 postgres postgres 4096 Oct  3 12:41 .
> drwxr-xr-x  4 postgres postgres 4096 Oct  1 11:59 ..
> -rwx------  1 postgres postgres    4 Mar 21  2015 PG_VERSION
> drwx------ 12 postgres postgres 4096 Oct  1 11:59 base
> drwx------  2 postgres postgres 4096 Oct  1 11:59 global
> drwx------  2 postgres postgres 4096 Oct  1 11:59 pg_clog
> drwx------  6 postgres postgres 4096 Oct  1 11:59 pg_multixact
> drwx------  2 postgres postgres 4096 Oct  1 11:59 pg_notify
> drwx------  2 postgres postgres 4096 Mar 21  2015 pg_serial
> drwx------  2 postgres postgres 4096 Mar 21  2015 pg_snapshots
> drwx------  2 postgres postgres 4096 Mar 21  2015 pg_stat
> drwx------  2 postgres postgres 4096 Oct  1 11:59 pg_stat_tmp
> drwx------  2 postgres postgres 4096 Oct  1 11:59 pg_subtrans
> drwx------  2 postgres postgres 4096 Mar 21  2015 pg_tblspc
> drwx------  2 postgres postgres 4096 Mar 21  2015 pg_twophase
> drwx------  4 postgres postgres 4096 Oct  1 12:18 pg_xlog
> -rwx------  1 postgres postgres  133 Oct  1 20:00 postmaster.opts
> -rw-------  1 postgres postgres   50 Oct  3 12:41 postmaster.pid
>
> in /var/log/postgresql/ I've a file with 0kb
> it is weird
> is there a way to recover all dbs without starting the daemon?

What OS and version are you running? Assuming a Debian/Ubuntu flavor for
now.

How was Postgres installed?

So there is a pid file present in the data directory, how about in the
run directory, /var/run/postgresql?

Is Postgres running? so:

ps ax|grep post

or

pg_ctl status  -D /var/lib/postgresql/9.3/main

If not what happens if you remove the pid and start Postgres manually,
not through supervisor?