Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 09/29/2015 03:08 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> I've read this email about three times now and it's not clear at all
> to me what a issue/bug tracker brings to the table.

Here are the problems I'd like to solve:

1. "Was this issue fixed in a Postgres update?  Which one?"

2. Not losing track of minor bugs.

3. Having a better way to track bugs which require multi-part solutions
(e.g. multixact).

4. Having a place for downstream projects/packagers to report bugs.

5. Not answering this question ever again: "Why doesn't your project
have a bug tracker?"

Note that all of the above requires a bug *tracker*, that is, a tool
which tracks the bug activity which was happening anyway, just makes it
more visible.  Rather than an Issue Resolution System, which would be
intended to remake our workflow.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.