Re: JDBC driver, PGSQL 7.3.2 and accents characters - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Mario Rodriguez Villanea
Subject Re: JDBC driver, PGSQL 7.3.2 and accents characters
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hi I've got the same problem, but my database is currently working, and
I'm wondering if there is way to change with an SQL command
 like ALTER DATABASE ENCODING 'LATIN1' or somathing like that

thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Barry Lind
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 10:37 AM
To: Davide Romanini
Cc: pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] JDBC driver, PGSQL 7.3.2 and accents characters

Davide,

Those characters are not part of the SQL_ASCII character set.  SQL_ASCII

is 7bit ascii, the characters you are trying to use are all 8bit
characters.  You need to create your database with a character set that
supports the characters you are trying to store.  LATIN1 or UNICODE
would be good choices.

thanks,
--Barry

Davide Romanini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've nice problems with the jdbc driver. I've tried with the jdbc2,
> jdbc, latest stable and also development release.
> I've a database in postgres with some varchar fields. The database is
> SQL_ASCII as char encoding. In that varchar fields I've stored also
> names with accents such è, à, ì etc... They work fine using the psql
> program, and also linking tables to access through the odbc driver.
But